This was an exhausting quilt week. Last week I finished one ray that contained McTavishing. I posted it on Friday and put the quilt aside until Monday. When I looked at it again, I hated the way I stitched the McTavishing. The travel stitching was really bad. At 11 pm, I decided to rip it all out! That was a huge mistake. It took me three and a half days of steady work to get it all cleaned up. What a mess. I tried to figure out what I could do to make it better (other than another five years of practice) and realized that I needed a higher seat in front of my sewing machine! Raising the height really makes a huge difference in how much you see, and the fatigue factor as well.
I finally finished the McTavishing, (and am still not very happy with it) and was able to do half of the zippling and boomerang areas. I decided to add silver and gold to the quilt. This is the first time I have ever used metallic thread. It started breaking, so I logged onto the internet to get some tips. After loosening the tension, changing the position of the spool, changing from cotton bobbin thread to polyester, and using a couple of drops of Sewer’s Aid, I was able to make headway. I love the look of the boomerang area and its contrast to the zippling.
I opted to piece a quilt last weekend, so I didn’t have time to use my new fabric paint. I did test the silver and gold on the margin of the quilt. They look beautiful on the burgundy fabric. Hopefully, by next weekend I’ll have caught up! Next time I get the bright idea of ripping anything out, I’ll wait a couple of hours to see if I really want to do it. This time it wasn’t worth it. I learned a very dear lesson!