Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you plan them. I spent the good part of this week figuring out how to put duck tracks on a baby quilt I was finishing. I even researched duck tracks on the Internet to get as close an interpretation as possible. I drew the tracks in Adobe Illustrator so I could scale them, got a good template, and marked the quilt. I had to place them so they looked like a duck was walking back and forth across the quilt but I also had to make sure that the tracks were touching the edge of each block so I could travel from block to block without breaking thread 18 times. I quilted the duck tracks and much to my disappointment, you can barely see them. I’m tempted to rip them out, but that would mean ripping all the stitching out.
Maybe I’ll figure out a way to fix this. In the meantime, I’m putting it aside and will finish it after I take a break from it. So… if you look closely at this quilt there is a possibility that you may see some duck tracks.
I finished Block 3.1 for Leah Day’s Building Blocks Quilt Along. It was a nice exercise for straight lines and travel stitching. I’m feeling better each week about my free motion quilting, but I’m finding that it is so much more difficult to be precise on a larger piece like a baby quilt.Here’s Leah Day’s free motion quilting design #429, Jagged Flame, designed to fit into quilt sashing.
Next week I’ll finish piecing the March blocks for a block of the month project. I got a good start on them this week. I’ll get back to stitching some more of Leah’s fmq designs. I’m also planning on binding a larger quilt that I finished a while ago. I’m trying to clean these projects up so I can go on to new adventures.
I’m linking up with Leah Day’s Free Motion Project Link Up.