Finished Projects

It has been a super busy week, so my blog is late. I spent a great deal of time sewing this week, but the time I normally use for blogging was crowded with other commitments.

Finally, finally, I finished a quilt I started months ago. It sat in my closet minus the binding and the label since last fall. It’s one I constructed in Amy Gibson’s Craftsy Secret Garden Workshop. The fabric is Amy Butler’s Belle. The pattern is disappearing nine patch. I free motion quilted it with Leah Day’s Free Motion Fillers, Volume 1. Using a layer cake made cutting and piecing very easy. I had the top finished in a week and it took only a couple more to quilt it. Christmas projects took over my schedule. Now it’s done, and I can mark off another UFO from my list.

QuiltI also worked on my block for Leah Day’s Building Blocks Quilt Along. This week’s block worked script into the design. It was relatively easy, but fun.

I was inspired to use script on the border of a little duck quilt that I tossed aside in frustration a couple of weeks ago. I quilted “Quack” around the edge of the quilt in on the border. I was tempted to use another color thread because the thread I used for the free motion quilting didn’t show up well, but I decided to be consistent. So, again, you have to look for the design. Hmm… Will baby care?’

Border of Baby Quilt

Border of Baby Quilt

Quack

Quack

Binding this little quilt is next on my list. I probably should be embarrassed to mention this, but I found a wonderful little app for my iPad, The Quilter’s Little Helper. It’s free. Robert Kaufman Fabrics offers it. It’s packed with specialized calculators for various parts of the quilt. Calculating yardage for borders is definitely not rocket science, but I use the app as a check. It has calculators to convert inches to yards, backing and batting, piece count, pieces to yardage area, binding, border yardages and a couple of others. I found it in the iTunes Store under QuiltingCalc. Another tool that has made binding a breeze for me is the Binding Tool from Missouri Star Quilt Company. This little piece of plastic helps make the end of your binding almost invisible. There is a trick to using it, but there are full instructions on You Tube to walk you through the process.

I have the materials for three different quilts and am really conflicted about which one to start next. I guess I’ll take them in the order of difficulty. One of them requires cutting a bazillion blades for Dresden Plates. I’m thinking of leaving that one for last, although I’m really looking forward to seeing that quilt on one of my beds. This week I’ll get April’s pattern for the Sugar Block Club so I think I’ll have plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks for stopping by! Happy Quilting!

Advertisements

One thought on “Finished Projects

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s